Nurse Aide Course
A rewarding career in nursing often starts with a certificate as a nurse aide (CNA). Non-licensed individuals can be trained to provide care as nurse aides with the CNA program at Clarkson College.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate of completion from Clarkson College and qualify for placement on the State of Nebraska Nurse Aide Registry. Next steps can include advancement to the Practical Nursing (PN) diploma program or a degree in any of our Nursing programs.
If you are looking to meet requirements for reactivation from lapsed to active status on the NE Nurse Aide Registry, Clarkson College offers Nurse Aide competency examinations so you can complete the required state written and clinical examination.
Course Information & Prerequisites
- The State of Nebraska requires that a student must be 16 years old and be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language.
- Applicants need to be aware of the eligibility requirements for placement on the state registry and/or for employment. Persons with a criminal record, substance abuse problems or health problems that would interfere with safe practices may be ineligible for placement on the state registry or for employment.
- Anyone with an open court case should not register until that case is resolved. This does include misdemeanor traffic citations or anything requiring a court appearance.
- Students need to be in good health and be able to lift 50 pounds throughout the entire class and clinical sessions.
- State written and clinical competency examinations will be done upon successful completion of class and clinical work.
- Course is approved by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services.
- College credit is not offered. No tuition assistance is offered.
- At the first class session, applicants will need to provide proof of current (within 12 months of clinical) PPD (Mantoux TB skin test).
- Attendance for the entire first session of class is mandatory. Individuals who are not in attendance for the entire first class session are administratively withdrawn from the course and no refund is provided.
- Attendance at every class and clinical session in this intensive course is required. The Nurse Aide course consists of lecture, skills lab and clinical instruction. All the material covered is necessary to function as a Nurse Aide, to meet the state requirements and enable you to pass the state-approved competency examinations. Absences for any reason may result in failure of this course.
Download Clinical Dress Code Requirements
- Clinical sessions are provided at metropolitan Omaha area long-term care facilities.
- Navy blue scrubs, a watch with a second hand and clean, closed toe shoes are required.
- Clinical session dates and times are different from the class sessions.
After completing the Nurse Aide course, you will be eligible to take the written and clinical Nebraska examinations. These are included in the course fee and are scheduled at the end of each course session. Upon passing these examinations, your name is submitted to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services for placement on the Nurse Aide Registry.
Download a Nurse Aide Course Syllabus
Daytime and evening classes are available. Class sessions do not normally meet every day of the week. Clinical sessions may be consecutive days. Clinical locations will vary. View Nurse Aide Course Schedule
Payment in full is due at the time of registration.
Course Fee: $495
Course fee includes:
- Textbook (a $45 value)
- State of Nebraska written and clinical competency exams (a $100 value)
- Course handouts and materials
- Clinical experience in a local health care facility
Credit cards accepted are: MasterCard, VISA and Discover. Make checks payable to: Clarkson College Office of Professional Development. If your check is returned for non-sufficient funds, we reserve the right to re-present the item electronically plus the state-allowed processing fee of $35. Re-presentation is handled by eTech Transaction Solutions.
All class sessions are held at Clarkson College located at 101 South 42nd Street in Omaha, Neb. Note: Location of clinical sessions will vary.
Please check on space availability by calling the Nurse Aide Hotline at 402.552.2431. The following registration options are available:
Phone: Register by phone with a credit card by calling 402.552.6148, 402.552.2311 or 800.647.5500.
In-Person: The Professional Development office is located in the lower level of Clarkson College, and the customer entrance faces the intersection of 42 and Douglas Streets. Our offices are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST View a Campus Map
Note: Class size is limited and classes fill quickly, so it is important to confirm availability and register early.
If you cannot attend the Nurse Aide course you registered for, you must fill out a Professional Development Official Drop/Cancellation Form. Form must be completed, signed and returned to the Office of Professional Development before you can be officially dropped from the class. A telephone call or email request is not sufficient to cancel your registration. Download a Drop/Cancellation Form on the website listed or call and one can be emailed or postal mailed to you.
Drop/Cancellation Refund Schedule
- If the Drop/Cancellation Form is received prior to 4:00pm five (5) business days before class start date a refund minus 10% withdrawal fee will be provided.
- If the Drop/Cancellation Form is received after that, no refund is provided. If the Drop/Cancellation Form is not received, no refund will be given. A phone call or email request alone does not drop/cancel a registration.
- If course fee was paid with a credit or debit card, the refund is issued to the same card.
- For other types of payment, the refund will be sent to the payee address on file within 60 days.
- A refund is not provided nor is a transfer allowed for failure to attend, or not meeting course completion requirements.