Federal Direct Stafford Loans: Subsidized & Unsubsidized
Apply for a Stafford Loan
- Funds borrowed by student from the U.S. Department of Education.
- Repayment begins six months after graduation or if student falls below half-time enrollment status.
Stafford Loan Interest Rate
- Subsidized loans accrue interest upon entering repayment.
- Unsubsidized loans accrue interest while student in school.
- Eligibility determined from FAFSA.
- Awards per semester depend upon grade level, dependency status, Stafford Loans previously borrowed, etc.
- Dependent undergraduates can borrow a lifetime maximum of $31,000 (no more than $23,000 of this can be subsidized).
- Independent undergraduates can borrow a lifetime maximum of $57,500 (no more than $23,000 of this can be subsidized).
- Student working on a Master's or Doctoral degree can borrow a lifetime maximum of $138,500 and may be eligible to borrow a Graduate Plus Loan.
Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
Apply for a Federal PLUS
- Funds borrowed by parent for dependent undergraduate student.
- Repayment usually begins 30 to 90 days after disbursement.
- Interest rate fixed at 7.9%
- Eligibility determined from the student's FAFSA.
- Amount parent can borrow is dependent upon other financial assistance received by student.
Direct Loan Information
Learn more about Direct Loans
Office of the Ombudsman PH 877.557.2575
Federal Nursing Loans
- Federally funded, institutionally administered.
- Repayment begins 9 months after graduation or if student falls below half-time enrollment status.
- Interest fixed at 5%.
- Accrue interest upon entering repayment.
- Eligibility determined from FAFSA; priority given to juniors and seniors.
- Average Federal Nursing Loan per semester of $1,000.
Learn more about Alternative Loans
- Funds borrowed by student from lending institution.
- May borrow up to cost of attendance less financial aid already received.